Monday, January 08, 2007

O-H-I-O

So, take it for what it's worth after my woeful NFL prjections this weekend (though, I did still manage to pick three out of the four winners), but in just a few hours the Ohio State Buckeyes will impore to 13-0 and be crowned National Champions. Now, I could, and probably should, go on some long-winded rant here about the fact that though I believe the Buckeyes thoroughly deserve that honor and title, the entire system is flawed because there's no playoff system in college football. But enough ink has been spilled over this issue already. So add my voice to those (read: every single sports commentator or fan in America) who believe in the need for a playoff system. That said, the system we do have has given us a thoroughly uninteresting game which the Buckeyes will win. The SEC and the Florida Gators just do not provide adequate competition for a team the calibre of the Buckeyes and Troy Smith. The Gators actually backed into the Tostitos National Championship Game (presented by Tostitos), according to most commentators, because they played two more games after OSU-Michigan (a game which will most likely be remembered as the REAL national championship for this season, despite the Wolverines' anemic Rose Bowl performance) and USC tripped up against UCLA. Find me one person interested in seeing Florida tonight and I will find you ten people who think USC should be involved and about a hundred more who think there ought to be a rematch of "The Game."

Don't get me wrong, Urban Meyer is a good coach and UF is a storied program, but you can't sit there and make me believe that they are the second best team in America right now. It has to be USC. Or Michigan. I could make a case for Boise State after that Fiesta Bowl for crying out loud. Still, I will watch tonight in glorious HDTV as the Buckeyes stomp to victory as once again a Big Ten program with football players on it beats up an SEC "team" with showmen and charlatans masquerading as football players.

PREDICTION: Ohio State 47, Florida 24.

No comments:

Recent Listenings By The Pink Polo