Thursday, January 18, 2007

Last First Day Back

So it's my last first day of school ever. Unless I go to grad school, but that ain't happening for a while, so let's chase this feeling. Many of you already know that I have a love-hate relationship with Tufts University. I love the people I've met here. My friends are so very important to me and they are all wonderful people. I hate the fact that I've met them here, however. There are officially no upshots left at Tufts University. Now, I even feel like an outsider moving through an alien world, which makes things even better. It was nice to go to my first class this morning and see Dubs on this side of the ocean, or to go to dinner last night with Jackie. And I do have Adam and Jon and Janna and The Gene and all the rest around here, but when I walk around campus those familiar faces I have become accustomed to seeing have all been replaced with younger, less interesting personages. I'm not even talking about my friends here, I'm talking about "those people." You know what I mean: those characters who have developed in our collective minds since freshman year. Urban Sombrero Guy. Black Power Man. That Crazy Chick from the Gym. They're all gone, but I still remain, walking through this alien world I used to call home. And so, here I am. One more art history class today and then a weekend. All the while continuing to feel that I just don't belong anymore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know... when in Rome... ;)

L P said...

Yeah, and now that it's second semester the freshmen have put on their 15+ pounds, so now they're not even attractive anymore to go along with being strangers.

Sorry man. Enjoy the beginning of the end, though.

Recent Listenings By The Pink Polo