Saturday, March 31, 2007

For What It's Worth: A Final Four Preview

I should mention right from the outset that if things don't go my way tonight, I will lose my Facebook pool to a guinea pig.

That's right, my asshat roommate decided to have some fun and have Mimosa, the house guinea pig, make selections for the NCAA Tournament. Now, some of Mimosa's picks were off base - she did have Oral Roberts in the Elite 8 - but a lot of them were on point. The crux of the discussion is this: Because I have terrible luck, and overthink almost all of my picks at Tournament time, if Ohio State wins tonight, I will lose to Mimosa. Here's to hoping that doesn't happen. So now, here's how the games breakdown, as I see it.

(2) Georgetown vs. (1) Ohio State

This game should be one for the ages. There are not two better matched teams in the entire tournament. And, it's the first game of the night, so the first half should be fairly slow, keeping the game close. It is going to be a battle of the big men, and we will see if both Greg Oden and Roy Hibbert can stay out of foul trouble. If that part of the game gets disrupted, Ohio State wins going away on the strength of guard play led by Mike Conley, Jr. However, I believe that Hibbert will have the presence of mind to play Oden close, perhaps even drawing a couple fouls off him, while staying out of trouble himself. That will allow him and Patrick Ewing, Jr. to control the tempo and Georgetown to eke out a close victory late in the game. And, seriously, I'm not just picking against the Guinea Pig.

Prediction: Georgetown 82, Ohio State 78.

(1) Florida vs. (2) UCLA

There are a lot of "if's" here for UCLA. IF Afflalo stays hot, and IF the inside game doesn't get too disrupted by Al Horford and Joakim Noah, and IF other guys can pick up the perimeter shooting, then UCLA is probably the best team in the country right now. However, IF one of those aforementioned possibilities doesn't come through, the Gators will win going away. The fact of the matter is that UCLA was overmatched against Kansas and came out on top, and IF that same team shows up tonight, they'll play for the national title on Monday. I believe that team will show and the Gators will - FINALLY! - be shut down.

Prediction: UCLA 71, Florida 65.

2 comments:

L P said...

I'm pulling for Mimosa because you didn't do a wine review this week.

Also because my bracket is currently lining the bottom of Mimosa's cage (or it damn well could be).

L P said...

Holy shit, you were so wrong. Good thing you cited all those 'ifs'..

It's okay. Two #1's in the final isn't the norm. It was a toss up.

Recent Listenings By The Pink Polo