Friday, April 06, 2007

Thirsty Thursday: 2004 Kumkani Pinotage, Stellenbosch, South Africa

Yes, I know it's Friday morning. But the title remains. If you're having lamb for Easter, this wine would be magnificent. Or, if you're just looking for something to sip on this cold New England weekend, this wine would do well in that endeavor as well. I wish I had discovered this wine while I was in South Africa, so that I could have visited the vineyard in Stellenbosch. Alas, I didn't, so I suppose I'll have to go back. Anyway, the notes:

The first thing I noticed about this wine was the excellent color concentration. Brilliant, shimmering maroon color in the glass with salmon ring when tipped. The nose and palate have delightful hints of raspberry and other summer berry flavors which add lightness to the earthy backbone of the Pinotage grape. The taste is well balanced across the palate, and the finish seems to linger for hours, as you bask in the warm glow of this light-bodied yet hearty wine.

Overall: 94, Purchased at Cambridge Wine and Spirits (formerly Mall Discount Liquors), Fresh Pond, Cambridge, $14.99.

1 comment:

Peter F May said...

Pinotage is indeed great with lamb. But don't go looking for the Kumkani vineyards next time you are in the Cape.

It is a brand name for 'the company of wine people' - www.thecompanyofwinepeople.co.za - who own no vineyards but source grapes from all over. They do own two wineries, Helderberg and Welmoed, where Kumkani and others of their brands can be tasted.

Cheers

Recent Listenings By The Pink Polo