Friday, April 20, 2007

Thirsty Thursday: 2001 Paul Jaboulet Ainé, Beaumes-de-Venise, Côtes-du-Rhône Villages, France

As we draw this exceptionally long and tiring week to a close, it's time for another wine review. I decided to go back to basics this week, and take a look at an affordable wine from one of the Motherland of Wine's oldest and most storied regions, the Rhone Valley.

Here are the notes.

Faint nose is met by a smooth palate, both of which are dominated by vanilla spice with fruit only barely noticeable. Good concentration of flavors after the wine opens up a little (at six years in the bottle and 14% alcohol, this wine will need 20 minutes or so before its drinkable...learned that lesson the hard way), but the astringent nature of the wine still tends to mask the flavors which seem overly soft. The finish is barely there, and seems to evaporate almost immediately.

Overall: 84, Purchased at Cambridge Wine and Spirits, Fresh Pond, Cambridge, MA. $11.99 on sale.

1 comment:

L P said...

I called Turco the other day to recommend me a bottle of wine, mainly because I did not have your number and I was hoping you two were in the immediate vicinity of each other.

I'm not a wine drinker really, but I do enjoy your reviews. And I have your number now so next time I'm at the liquor store, I'll forgo the cheap bottle of Wild Irish Rose and give you a ring.

Recent Listenings By The Pink Polo