Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The End of the Beginning

I walked out the door and as the hot New England sun glinted off my face I realized that there was to be no fanfare, no momentous feeling, none of that. It was a distinctly odd feeling, but rewarding all the same.

At 2pm this afternoon, I walked out of the Political Science department in Eaton Hall, having just dropped off my very last assignment to be completed in anticipation of my Bachelor of Arts degree at Tufts University. With that simple act, done on my way to work, I finished the five-year odyssey of college.

It didn't happen the way I always envisioned that it would. Graduation will take care of the pomp and circumstance, but all I had this afternoon was the knowledge that I had completed something, and done it well. There is a tendency to get sentimental at this time in a man's life, of challenges met, of obstacles overcome, and of a life ready to begin. But in this moment, knowing that work for the preparation for that life is complete, there is only satisfaction in a thing done well.

What's next?

No comments:

Recent Listenings By The Pink Polo